[TowerTalk] Antenna Switching - Complexity for its own sake?

darrel darrel at vanbuer.net
Fri Sep 23 13:23:06 EDT 2005

--- Pete Smith <n4zr at contesting.com> wrote:
> As the author of that "harsh" criticism, I stand by it.  If the guy wants
> to implement a "universal" automatic antenna switch as a learning exercise,
> that's fine, but should QST really spend 8 pages on a design that is ...

Given that QST, like most hobby magazines has no significant paid writing
staff, most technical articles are contributed by people who who have decided
to write about something they've done.  QST will pay a few dollars, but
nobody could make a living writing articles for QST etc.  Even the paid staff
doesn't earn what engineers make.

Have you contributed something better for them to publish?  I doubt they
pushed aside a whole stack of much more interesting, well written and germane
articles to print that one.
However you value this antenna switch article, it would have to rank above 8
pages saying:

  This page left blank because Pete said what we had wasn't worth the ink.

  Darrel AK6I