[TowerTalk] Centre Insulator - fiberglass or Garolite rod

donovanf@starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Sep 29 09:32:35 EDT 2005

Mark,

I've used Garolite (a tradename for Type LE phenolic) on my
antennas for 35 years and I've never had mechanical or
electrical degradations of any kind.

There are two types of Garolite rod: machined and formed

Machined rod is cut from flat plate stock.  As a result, all of the
grain is exposed to the weather.  Formed rod is wound as a rod,
so the grain is nearly concentric (like the rings in a tree).  This
would be an ideal choice where significant voltages could be
developed across the insulator such as when it bridges a

73!
Frank
W3LPL