[TowerTalk] Temporary Guy Anchors

Robert Hess w1rh at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 23 14:02:31 EDT 2006

I have a new QTH.  I'd like to put up 20 or 30 feet of
heavy duty TV mast or Rohn 25 in a temporary
configuration until I get through the year of zoning
related issues for the big towers.

The location is on 10 acres on top of a mountain.
Space is not an issue.  Soil is clay with lots of
rocks.  I am looking for some sort of heavy duty tent
stakes or equivalent that can be driven into the
ground to act as guy wire anchors.  Another
possibility is to fill some livestock feed tubs with
concrete and makeshift anchors.  Whatever I do, it has
to be temporary and last about a year.  Guys will be
either UV resistent rope or light weight wire rope.
Antenna will be TA-33JR with a HAM IV rotator.

I'd appreciate any comments on the best way to create
a temporary installation that will last a year or so.

By the way, HFTA says the site will work pretty darn
well with an antenna 20 feet above ground.

Bob
W1RH/6