[TowerTalk] Big rotators

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 10:37:48 EDT 2006

In a message dated 4/27/2006 12:25:57 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  Some installed MonstIR's are using Orion/M^2 2800's.   Alfa Spid and
ProSysTel make big rotators that would work, but they  only fit
inside fairly large towers (no crankups).  Not even clear  they
could fit R45.  Since I already have a 2800, I am probably  going
to go with that for my upcoming MonstIR installation.  Alfa  is
going to test their big rotator for mounting on top of the tower  with
the antenna right above the rotator.  Results should be  announced
in a month or two.

It's becoming clear that  while there are sometimes problems with the rotator
itself, the emerging  reliability culprit is the mast clamp. The Orion one
has so little actual  clamp-to-mast surface area that it is unable to hold any
large sized array. The  mast clamp on the BigBoys seem to have their limits as
well.

        BTW I'm having some more  suitable clamps for the Orion fabricated
and they'll be available for sale in  the near future. If you're going to have
an Orion/MonstIR installation, you'll  need one of these.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Cell: 206-890-4188