[TowerTalk] weird antenna question

Merlin-7 KI4ILB merlin-7 at sc.rr.com
Fri Aug 11 20:00:55 EDT 2006

 I use a dipole that is coax fed and  has 3 elements on each side, a 16' a 33' and a 66' (that was before I tuned it so measurements are not perfect.) It also has an air wound choke at the feed point.

 Last night I joined a net on 40m and after tuning with a MFJ versa tuner II I was able to get my normal SWR of 1.2 .

 Ok here's the weird part, this morning I noticed that the rope on the driven side of the dipole had broke and they were laying across a guy wire about 3 foot from the feed point, the rest of the wire was laying on my roof and the end was hanging off the side of the house about 3 feet from the ground. My wife said she saw that it had broke the day before but did not tell me.The guy wire has no insulators on it and is grounded to my tower on one end and to a pole set in concrete on the other side.

 I had no problems making contacts and power out seemed normal on my ts-440s

 Mt question is, how was this antenna still working? My understanding of antennas is pretty good but this one has me confused...

 Thanks
 JOE
 KI4ILB