[TowerTalk] cheap hams

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Aug 18 20:52:20 EDT 2006

<snip>>
> For my instalation http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm
> and http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower26.htm
> Considering tower, concrete, antennas, and guy line, and anchors with me
> doing all the work we'd be looking at between two and three years worth.
> Add
> an engineer and I'll bet it'd come to about 4 years worth not counting
> dorm
> fees.
>
> OTOH I quite a very good paying job as an instrument tech to go back to
> college after working for 26 years.
> If I consider lost wages that makes the $7143 look absolutely cheap! <:-))
> Graduated with a BS in CS at age 50, worked 7 years and retired.  OK, so
> I'm
> a slow learner<:-))

<snip>

OTOH 22 years ago I had nothing more than a 40 foot American steel TV tower
with a dirt base, one set of guy wires (3-point) just below the top and a
big tri-bander on top.  That thing withstood winds every bit as strong as
the big system that is up now.  Two differences though.  If it fell over it
wouldn't have hit anything and the tri-bander was at the top, without a big
6-meter antenna 15 feet above it and  a pair of 144 and a pair of 440
antennas about 15 feet above that.

Also at one time (35 years ago) I had 40 feet of the stuff bracketed to the
end of the house. I still had the one set of guys just below the top.  That
one also used a dirt base.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)