[TowerTalk] TH11DX / DIS72

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Aug 24 03:35:36 EDT 2006

> But Gavin really seems to need helping,  only thing is,  I dont know or
> have ever heard of this DIS72, but with all this available talent pool,
> Gavin will get some good answers...   mac/mc  w5mc

According to the Hy-Gain site the Dis72 is a 7 Mhz antenna with two elements
using a hairpin matching system. Hence the 72.  They don't give the weight,
but the turning radius is 25' and the Effective moment is 1412 ft/lb.  So
1412/25 gives a weight of about 56 1/2 pounds.

It's relatively small for a 40 meter antenna with (from their manual) a max
element length of a tad over 44', Boom length of 22' of 2" tubing.  6 sq ft
rated for 80 MPH wind survival.  Wind load at 80 MPH is a hefty 154 ft
pounds.
Gain is listed at 4.3 dBd with a f/b of 15 db.
Cost is about $650

It looks like an interesting limited space antenna for 40.

I'd like to get  40, 20, 15, and 10 on one boom with at least 2 if not 3
elements on 40. Of course being mixed in like that they'd be well short of
full size.

I'd stick one under my tri-bander, but with the trip-bander at 100, 7L on
six at 115 and the 144/440 arrays at 130 I already beat a TB-3 to pieces in
less than 6 years.  I'd have to use spacing much closer than I'd like even
after removing the 144/440 arrays.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)