[TowerTalk] OT: Generators and UPS's

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Aug 26 00:25:41 EDT 2006

> At 01:54 PM 8/25/2006, you wrote:
>>Tnx Jim for the info. The cheap thing would not be to go to a larger
>>generator. This is a 16KW unit.
>
> Ah.. yes.. that would be pretty pricey to go to the next step up...

Even then, larger is not necessiarily better.  There are generators and then
there are generators just as there are High quality UPSs and not so high
quality.

On mine (9500 Watt) it's running close to 75% of the rated power most of the
time.  When motors start such as the refrigerator, freezer, furnace fan, and
air-conditioner (not botherd by sump pump) it drops the voltage to the point
where the UPSs all kick in, but then drop right out as the voltage drop is
momentary.
The sine wave looks pretty clean. It should be as the engine make up for it
in noise. <:-))

It runs the whole HF radio station with the Alpha 76, plus the 144/440 FM
rigs.   The legal limit key down doesn't even chage the pitch of the engine,
but I would like, bigger, quieter, and natural gas.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com