[TowerTalk] Inverted vee characteristics

Richard DiDonna NN3W nn3w at cox.net
Sat Aug 26 13:09:28 EDT 2006

For the upcoming contest season, I'm planning on putting up a 3 element inverted vee beam.  The beam would have a common reflector and two driven elements - I would use the driven element/reflector pair that I want to use depending on my desired direction (either northeast towards Europe) or southwest for sweepstakes.

I've launched two sets of ropes on either side of two trees that will support the end and the "boom".  Unfortunately given my yard shape, I may have launched one rope too high - about 80 feet.

I say unfortunately because the angles of the inverted vee when drawn down with ropes would be an acute angle (about 60 degrees).

Is there an angle that is really too narrow for an inverted vee (i.e., less than 90 or 60 degrees) that winds up making the antenna essentially two verticals fed from the top?

73 Rich NN3W