[TowerTalk] Inverted vee characteristics

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Sat Aug 26 14:21:27 EDT 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 13:09:28 -0400, "Richard DiDonna NN3W"
<nn3w at cox.net> wrote:

>Is there an angle that is really too narrow for an inverted vee (i.e., less than 90 or 60 degrees) that winds up making the antenna essentially two verticals fed from the top?

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

You really should model it with EZNEC or a similar program, but I can
tell you this: Even at a 45 degree apex angle, an inverted vee is
almost perfectly omnidirectional. I'm thinking this is not good for
the driven element of a yagi configured like you have it because some
of the energy will be radiated off to the side of the yagi instead of
toward the desired direction. A conventional dipole driven element
radiates almost no energy directly off to the side.

I'm no great expert with this, but I'm pretty sure it won't work as
well as you are hoping.

--
Bill, W6WRT