[TowerTalk] Tram rope

Dennis OConnor ad4hk2004 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 18 07:27:04 EST 2006

Let me second Dave's comment... Using rope for a tram line, or small diameter cable is asking for a crash... I also use only 1/4" EHS...  Because the tram line is pulled into a caternary shape the total forces on it are far greater than just the weight of the beam...
The other thing I do is that the tram line is run up to the top of the tower, through a pulley, and back down to a ground anchor on the opposite side... This way the side thrust is not transferred to the tower... Because of having to fly the beam over the woods, etc., my tram line is 600 feet overall and is kept on a drum and used only for that purpose.....

denny / k8do