[TowerTalk] Tram rope

Dick Green WC1M wc1m at msn.com
Mon Dec 18 13:56:39 EST 2006

I don't want to be contrarian, but has anyone seen a tram line made of
reasonably strong rope break? Has anyone calculated the actual forces on the
tram line? For example, the breaking strength of 7/16" nylon rope is about
4,500 lbs, with a safe working load between 450 lbs and 900 lbs (some
references say no more that 1/5 breaking strength, others say no more than
1/10 breaking strength.) Would the forces exerted by a 100 lb antenna on a
tensioned tram line exceed that? Also, the haul rope supports some of the
weight of the antenna. Doesn't that figure into the equation as well?

I ask this question because yesterday I successfully trammed a 44 lb
Cushcraft 40-2CD to 110 feet using 7/16" 3-strand nylon rope. The next
antenna to be trammed is an 81 lb SteppIR. Is there really a chance that my
tram line will break?

73, Dick WC1M