[TowerTalk] Verticals

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 24 17:28:20 EST 2006

At 09:49 AM 12/24/2006, D. Scott MacKenzie wrote:
>I use MMANA quite a bit - it also has an implementation of NEC-2.  It works
>well, fast, and gets me in the ballpark.  I use it to see whether an idea
>works, or to see what sort of changes I need to make.
>
>The best part of it - is that it is free.
>
>I would love to do a comparison between several different pieces of software
>and see which one models the best, or gets accurate results....anyone have
>any simple and more complicated models that they would like to compare?  It
>might make a good article for QST or QEX.....

There is already such a comparison. It's in one of the antenna compendiums.

Basically, all programs that do method of moments work about the same
(many of them actually use the identical NEC engine underneath).  The
differences are in convenience of user interface, and in some "addons".

NEC4 does produce better results than NEC2. It has better arithmetic
codes, and, uses a slightly different way of representing the current
distribution in each segment which has better numerical conditioning
(i.e. roundoff doesn't bite quite so hard).

  NEC4 also does much better at modeling wires close to ground.

You definitely want to use the Sommerfield-Norton ground for either.