[TowerTalk] RHOMBIC RESISTORS

Pat Barthelow aa6eg at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 18:54:02 EST 2006

Fabio,

I know Caddock is a mfg of high power non inductive resistors, perhaps they
have what you need...
I once had rhombic opportunities, and learned that you can reduce the power
handling reqts of the terminating resistor, by createing a lossy, tapered
transmission line, using stainless steel wire, dropping from the far apex of
the rhombic down near ground level and doubling back towards the center of
the antenna.  If long enough, much of the power is dissapated in the
Stainless Steel (Nichrome)  transmission line, and your terminating resistor
can be of a smaller power rating.  The military even eliminated the need for
a resistor at all, if you use a long enough lossy transmission line...
Conventional construction with the resistor at the apex requires
substantially less power capacity than is input to the antenna, due to power
being radiated before arriving at the resistor...Literature often mentions
about 1/2 input power for the resistor power rating.
I think Jim Niger, N6TJ  is a professional who works with rhombics on
Islands in the Atlantic and would have a wealth of knowledge....
I have worked a few stations, one notably in New Zealand, equipped with
rhombics and was stunned at their performance.  A/B comparisons Rhombic
pointed to West coast US, from ZL,  vs Hygain TH 6 at same height, profound;
several uncalibrated S units....

73, DX, de Pat AA6EG aa6eg at hotmail.coim