[TowerTalk] Building Antennas

Tom Osborne w7why at verizon.net
Sat Jan 14 16:28:32 EST 2006

> Hi Guys:
>
> I am embarking on my first antenna project of any
> significance (something besides wires).
>
> I am looking at doing a simple direct coaxial fed 2 ele
> yagi to start with to see if I can even make this happen.

Hi Bob

Been there--done that.

I'm using a couple of 2 el monobanders here--one for 20 and one for 10 (if
it ever opens up again).  I found a 2 el monobander works a lot better than
the TH-3 it replaced.  I used some stuff from a couple of old tri-banders
here that were defunct for the elements, etc.  If you could find someone who
had a tri-bander that didn't work any more, you could find lots of good
stuff there.

I used a split element on a 1/4 wavelength boom and that gives a real good
50 ohm match.  Don't need to use a hairpin, gamma, or any type of matching
network.  Just use a coil of coax for a balun.  GL
Tom W7WHY