[TowerTalk] Screw Anchor Question

Anthony Brooks wm3t at wm3t.com
Sun Jan 15 13:20:28 EST 2006

My tower project is starting to come together, but I have a concern that
came about while installing the screw anchors today.  Two of the anchors are
in undisturbed soil, while the third is in soil that was disturbed when the
house was built.  The soil was used to build up the backyard of the house
about 8 months ago.  What prompted the following question was that one
anchor went in CONSIDERABLY easier than the other two.  The tower is a
planned 70 foot Rohn 25 installation with two sets of guys with a tribander
and 2 element 40 on top. The anchor is on the downwind side of the
predominate wind here.

How long before disturbed soil is considered undisturbed?  I am concerned
that the anchor in question may pull out due to the soil it was installed
in.  Are there any recommendations as to what I can do to improve this
anchor and in turn make me sleep better at night after the tower is up?

73 and thanks.

Anthony, WM3T

believed to be clean.