[TowerTalk] HDX-555

K4BEV@aol.com K4BEV at aol.com
Mon Jan 16 09:11:54 EST 2006

In a message dated 1/15/06 1:51:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
wb5hak at duracom.net writes:

Can any  of you using the HDX-555 tower give me some idea
how difficult the manual  version is to raise and lower, approximate time it
takes to do so,  etc?

Don;

It seems, to me, to be a function of the winch being used.
I've never timed how long it takes to get up or down, but it's  not tooo long.
OTOH - It can be a real work out to move it either way if the winch brake  is
stiff (gg down) or gear ratio is high (gg up). Mine has both problems and
WILL be replaced with either a worm gear winch or one with something better than
 a 4:1 gear ratio.
Tilting the tower and getting it back to vertical is fairly easy, but  a
balky winch will make it bounce, which is kind of scary to watch, but  doesn't
seem to bother anything (so far).

GL es 73, Don - K4BEV