[TowerTalk] Ends of Dipoles - Mythbusting

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Sun Jul 2 12:31:35 EDT 2006

Tom, W7WHY, wrote

> Finally, I took the antenna down, and found that the
> closeline had a wire inside,

I did a favor for one of my female associates in the office, and she kindly reciprocated with a small loaf of home baked banana bread on a paper plate with plastic wrap and a nice pretty bow on it.

Umh, I just put the whole thing in the microwave to heat it up as didn't see any "metal" involved.

Fortunately I was standing right there when black smoke started pouring out so shut it off and opened the m/wave door to see a small fire inside.

Maybe it was the plastic wrap, but I discovered that the bow material had "hidden" WIRES inside of the material ;-(

You haven't lived until you have you have had to scrub a thick layer of black smoke/soot off the inside of an all white microwave.

Yup, watch out for those "hidden" wires...and not just with antennas!!!

73...

Rick, K6VVA