[TowerTalk] Lightning Strike

Doug Renwick ve5ra at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 8 12:01:04 EDT 2006

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning Strike

> I had earlier asked K4FMX for proof that his tower(s) have
> NEVER been hit by lightning but Gary is unwilling to share
> that information.  Then a second question entered my mind
> "why would Gary mount a rabbit's foot on his tower in the
> first place"?  Mmmmm.  But that is not the reason for this
> post.

I would not reply to such a question either, it would
be a fool's errand.

If you can't support your absolute statement(s) with good
experimental results, good theory, or good experience, then
one should say so.

You have asked him to prove a negative.

Correct.  But he said "I have had one on my tower for years
and never had a strike."  Referring to a lightning strike.
By using the word 'never' I presumed that he had proof.
Otherwise he should have said something like "to the best of
my knowledge", or I don't think that I had a strike".  I am
curious to know if there can be a strike without damage.

> My question - Is it possible to have a direct lightning
> strike on a tower and yet show no visible or hidden signs
on
> the tower and/or appendage(s) or show no 'secondary' signs
> in the immediate area surrounding the tower?
> Doug/VA5DX

Direct?  Improbable.

Indirect and/or surge, sure.

Theoretically.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa.  I didn't ask how to design a tower system
to avoid a strike.  Please take time to read the question.

Again, the failure to define parameters sufficiently
renders the question impossible to answer meaningfully.

Tower materials, grounding system, cables, connectors,
etc. are all variables critical to such an analysis.

I don't know about porcupines and rabbit's feet and
such but do prefer that discussions remain in the realm
of clear reasoning.

--

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
http://bibleseven.com