[TowerTalk] Lubricant to loosen rusty bolts?

tom scott trscott at sterling.net
Tue Jul 25 15:35:07 EDT 2006

I imagine there are a whole bunch of favorite formulas out there. I am soon going to be climbing an old tower, to oil the bolts which all show some rust, with the idea to make it easier to get them apart soon when I will be dismantling the tower.

What lubricant do you use to help get rusted bolts apart? And how long would you wait after treatment?

I plan to climb it once to apply some sort of penetrating oil, and then in a day or a few days later, climb it again to begin dismantling it.

Thanks!

Tom Scott - kd7dmh
Beaverton, Oregon