[TowerTalk] build up construction

Michael J. Castellano km1r at comcast.net
Sun Jun 4 12:21:16 EDT 2006

JC;  Been in the tower business over 30 years (retired now). I might sound a bit harsh, but please take it as help from a brother ham.

If you have to ask about difficulty, etc in building up a tower, you shouldn't be doing it. I would strongly recommend having a local tower company do the job. Yes, it will cost a few $$, but they are insured, they have the tools, expertise and a little known fact... they always have the extra parts, items that are usually overlooked.
Building this way, though very common on large towers does entail a bit of precision from the ground up. It is really depressing to find at 60 feet the bolt holes are out of line by even 1/4 inch...and it does happen...

What would probably take the non pro builder a couple of days would most likely take them a few hours.

If building inspection questions arise, they can address them and there is usually some sort of guarantee on the workmanship.

No scraped knuckles, bumped heads, no last minute delays for want of parts, no anxiety about getting hurt... the only pain (short lived) is writing the darn check at the end of the day!

No matter what you decide, be safe, and seeya on the bands!

73!

Mike KM1R