[TowerTalk] Help Needed Replacing Crank-Up Cable on US Tower

Dr M J DiGirolamo DrD at 2020.com
Sun Jun 4 21:35:34 EDT 2006

Hi Gang,

I just purchased and have brought home US Tower, model HDX-572MDPL, 72' Heavy
Duty tower from the estate of a SK.

It has a motor drive whose design includes a postive pulldown feature.

The tower contains 4 sections, was installed in 1999 and has had little use.

Where I need help:

US Tower recommends replacing the cable every 2-3 years, which may be an
overkill but is definitely erring on the side of safety.  Since my tower is 7
years old I'd like to start out with fresh cabling.

Though US Tower gladly sells the cable, they no longer provide instructions on
how to install it.  They stated that there is a liablity issue when sending
instructions!  I was told to simply "attach it to the end of the old cable" and
pull it through!

Gosh....
1. how does one attach the new to the old in a way that it will go around
pullies, etc,
2. how does one deal with the tensioner and the positive pulldown assembly,
3. how does one get their hand(s) inside to restring it with its 4 nested tower
sections?

I am hoping someone has an old set of restringing instructions from US Tower or
that someone who has successfully restrung theirs will email me.  I definitely
need some pointers.

All responses are welcomed.

73,

Mike DiGirolamo, W4XN
Charlottesville, VA
W4XN at arrl.net

PS  I also have the Raising Fixture and would like to restring it as well.