[TowerTalk] Fall Arrest Forces

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Thu Jun 15 09:30:15 EDT 2006

What I remember from my safety training (Plant Enginner & EHS Manager for major chemical manufacturing firm) is that when you fall without any shock absorbing device, the forces on your body (typical person weighing 250 lbs.) can be up to 5000 lbs of force.  With a shock absorbing device (lanyard, reel, etc.) these forces are reduced to around 500 lbs.

Obviously a belt is attached around soft body tissue which is not designed to accomdate a lot of force.  A full body harness redistributes the forces of a fall down to your hips, which are the strongest bones in your body.

--
Phil - KB9CRY
Lockport, IL