[TowerTalk] re Radials

Joe Subich, W4TV w4tv at subich.com
Fri Jun 16 10:54:45 EDT 2006

Bill writes:

> I've never understood the fascination with verticals for the low
> bands. If you put up a dipole or inverted vee, you get 100%
> efficiency, lower receive noise, use a LOT less copper and do a lot
> less work. And the local signals will be much stronger.
>
> Yes, I know verticals have a lower radiation angle, but on 160/80/40
> most signals arrive at high angles anyway. On the higher frequencies
> a vertical would be more practical, but there most folks use beams.

It depends entirely on what your goals are on the low bands.

DX is primarily a low angle mode ... the low dipole may have more
gain at its maximum point but unless the dipole is more than 1/4
wave above ground the gain is entirely at angles suitable only for
NVIS purposes.  Once the horizontal antenna gets above a half wave
above ground (the break even point is .4 wave) it's low angle (DX)
performance begins to overtake the vertical.  Unfortunately, most
of us do not have the ability to put up 120' towers with yagis for
80 ... and 250' towers with yagis for 160 meters.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV