[TowerTalk] re Radials

hasan schiers schiers at netins.net
Fri Jun 16 11:44:03 EDT 2006

Bill,

If you don't understand the fascination, then you are not a DX chaser on
those bands, in which case you have no use for a vertical (other than
convenience or quick temp setup)

If you seriously chase DX on 80 and 160m, a low angle radiator on tx is
essential. In the vast majority of the cases, the only way to get it is with
vertical polarization. Having run low dipoles on all 3 bands, and having run
verticals on 80 and 40 with good ground systems, I can say with some
certainty that the verticals outperformed the dipoles dramatically for DX.

A DX chaser doesn't care about local signals...in fact we would rather be
rid of them entirely <vbg>

And none of the studies I am seeing reflect high angle arrival of dx signals
on 80/160. Higher than on 20m and above yes, high enough for a low dipole to
be competitive, absolutely not.

If one only wants local coverage and space is available, a simple dipole is
often the best choice. Then again, that wasn't the poster's question.

More to the point, however, is that the original person with the question
asked how to do the vertical's radials and wanted an explanation of
conflicting advice he had gotten/seen. I was trying to help him understand
"how things work"....a precious commodity among amateurs these days.

73,

...hasan, N0AN