[TowerTalk] antenna; NDBs

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Thu Jun 22 17:37:58 EDT 2006

>I just recently dismounted and moved a NDB from its old place on the
> airfield some km out to a new location on a hill.
> The airfield is a military helicopter base and they just got a new type
> with
> a difference approach pattern.
> The NDB antenna is a 24m high self supporting steel tower sitting on base

Here they look like a dipole strung between two wood poles about 20 feet
high.

> insulators at the 3m level and is driven by a transmitter using a QB/300 =
> 4-125A in the final with about 120W.

I doubt these run much more than 5 or 10 watts as they are only audible for
30 to 40 miles at best.
Frequency for Gladwin is 209 KHz. Length of the antenna appears to be about
the same as a 40 meter dipole, but from the air that can be a bit
misleading.

> The mains for the tower lighting is decoupled from the tower by an Austin
> Ring transformer

They just put a red light on top of each pole. No coupling systems are
needed.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com