[TowerTalk] Rotor Cable

Dave Tipton dave at lodave.org
Fri Jun 23 09:58:15 EDT 2006

That is the best answer I've heard.  Everyone seems to be in agreement, but that was the first explanation of why, other than "It's too small".

  Thanks,
Dave, W5DMT

K6TFZ at aol.com wrote:
  >Ok, so I'm sure it's been asked before, but is there any real problem with
using Category 5 >cable to control a Ham IV? This is going to be about a 100
foot run (Thinking 90, but just >being conservative).

> I just happen to have scads of it laying around and thought it might be an
inexpensive alternative.

The manual claims a max resistance of 0.8 ohms for terminals 1 and 2, 2.0
ohms for terminals 3 through 8. It also lists wire sizes of 18 gauge for T 1-2
and 20 gauge for T 3-8 for a maximum run of 125 feet.

Cat 5 cable is 24 gauge and has a resistance of 3.1 ohms per 100 feet.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Geoff, K6TFZ