[TowerTalk] Tower Painting

Roy Thistle roy.thistle at utoronto.ca
Mon May 1 15:05:53 EDT 2006

In reply to Bob, I think he means red oxide primer, which is an oil based primer that bonds to the rust (not sure about the bonding). I have used a lot of that. It is good when there is no galvanization left. That is, when there is no zinc left and the galvanized coating has been completely (or nearly completely) replaced by rust. I am not sure they let it get that far in the Navy. 

Otherwise, I have used white water based primer that I think is only an adhesive between the galvanized metal and the top coat.

My question was how do you get it on the inside of the tower leg? The tower sections I work with, mostly, are tubular steel. 

More information about the TowerTalk mailing list