[TowerTalk] Tower Painting

K8RI on Tower talk k8ri-tower at charter.net
Mon May 1 15:45:22 EDT 2006

> Hi:
> primer that bonds to the rust (not

I'm not sure if the above is in reference to my remark about doing the
inside of the masts and legs with the primer, but yes that is the primer to
which I was refering.

>sure about the bonding). I have used a lot of that. It is good when there
>is no galvanization left. That is, when

"I think" there is a chemical reaction with the rust from reading the lable
on the can, but I'd not gurantee  it.

>there is no zinc left and the galvanized coating has been completely (or
>nearly completely) replaced by rust. I >am not sure they let it get that
>far in the Navy.
>
> Otherwise, I have used white water based primer that I think is only an
> adhesive between the galvanized >metal and the top coat.

If there's no rust I'd think that would be plenty sufficient.

> My question was how do you get it on the inside of the tower leg? The
> tower sections I work with, mostly, >are tubular steel.

It all depends on how messy you are willing to get. <:-))
Some just stick a high pressure spray gun into the end of each leg (with the
section horizontal of pointeld slightly down hill). I cap off the ends of
the legs using plastic pipe caps and wrap electrical tape around the outside
over the bolt holes. Then I stand the section on end and pour in enough
thinned primer to fill each leg.

Do this in an area where spilled paint will not be a problem. If one of
those caps come soff , or the tape leaks it'll make a big mess in a hurry.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com