[TowerTalk] EHS or Philly?

Jon M. Knodel jknodel at msn.com
Mon May 15 04:41:44 EDT 2006

Hello all,

Thank you everyone for the help so far.  I am back with another question though.

It has actually worked out that Phillystran would be cheaper for me to use than EHS broken up into +/-11' lengths.  I am leaning toward using it but am concerned about it's stretch.  On K7NV's site (great info on tower design and loading), he runs one scenario (using Grape software) where the tower actually failed due to the Phillystran stretching too much.  Granted, this was on a 100' R45 and my installation would be a 60' R25 but it still concerns me.  Do you think it would be possible for the Philly to cause a failure?  If so, would it be solved by increased initial tensioning (say 15% or maybe even 20% as compared to 10%)?  Any help would definitely be appreciated.  Thanks.

73 es gud DX!,

Jon, N7XW