[TowerTalk] EHS or Philly?

bob finger finger at goeaston.net
Mon May 15 06:11:07 EDT 2006

Anything can cause failure if improperly installed.  Phyllistran has
more stretch than does EHS.  My suggestion is to install the first 30
feet of guy line from the tower down using phyllistran and complete each
guy with ehs.  When you tension the guys do so at 15% instead of 10% for
ehs alone and check and retighten after a few days.  That will
accommodate for the stretch.  You want ehs on the bottom of the guy for
several reasons; among them are fire prevention, the ability to read the
tension with a loos gauge on the ehs and to keep vandals from cutting
the phyllistran with a pen knife.

I have three towers installed as discussed above (but with more than 30
feet of phyllistran on some guys).  No problems over several years.
Follow the insturctions EXACTLY when putting the big grips on the
phyylistran...preload is mandatory.  This is a proven product.  Your
fears are unfounded if installed properly.  73 bob de w9ge