[TowerTalk] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Marlon K. Schafer (509) 982-2181 ooe at odessaoffice.com
Wed May 17 12:03:37 EDT 2006

Hi All,

As I'm sure you guys are aware, HAMs are primary users in about half of the
2.4 gig band.  When using APC you can run very high wattage.  I can't
remember if it's 100 or 1000.  This is for video as I recall.

There's a proposal to drop the APC requirement.  As a board member of the
Wireless Internet Provider's Association (www.wispa.org) I've been asked to
ask for your input on the issue.

WISPs, and other license exempt users, are limited (for all practical
purposes) to 4 watts for our broadcast sites.  And much of the gear is
contention based, so anything that's always on tends to cause great
headaches and gnashing of teeth.

We will likely fight this new proposal but wanted input from the HAM
community first.

Are there people using this ability today?

What's it used for?

Any plans for more high power 2.4 gig use?

Are there any reasons that we shouldn't come out against the proposal to
drop the APC requirement?

Am I missing anything?  Asking the wrong questions etc?

Thanks all!
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless