[TowerTalk] Painting Rohn 45

N2TK, Tony tony.kaz at verizon.net
Sun May 28 07:54:24 EDT 2006

I have a Rohn 45 tower that is about 25 years old. It is starting to show
some rust coloring. It is not flaking or scaling, just a rust color on some
of the tower. I'm looking at what is available for "renewing" the tower. I
really don't want to take down the tower and have it re-galvanized at this
point, although that would most likely be the best thing to do. Since  there
is no scaling and the rust coloration is on about 20% of the tower, figured
some kind of "paint" would be okay. The questions is which "paint"?
Looking for input on this.
What I have looked at so far is Rust Bullet, POR-15, Brite Zinc, Rust-oleum,
Wasser and CRC.
Rust Bullet seems to make some pretty strong claims about not having to sand
off the rust before applying two coats of their product.
Any input of Rust Bullet and any of these and any other products that are
recommended?
I'll be tilting over the tower in August to change antennas. Thought it
would be a good time to strip the tower and paint it.
Tnx for any feedback.
N2TK, Tony