[TowerTalk] Computer RFI

W2RU - Bud Hippisley W2RU at frontiernet.net
Wed Nov 22 20:23:18 EST 2006

An alternative solution is to remove the power supply from the PC and
take the cover off (usually four screws and a label that pretends to be
a seal).  Inside you will find two wires from the hot and neutral sides
of the AC line input socket to lands on a printed circuit board.  You
need to get a foot or so of ordinary lamp cord (zip cord) and thread as
many turns through a Type 31 or Type 43 toroid as you can -- typically
you'll want to find one with about an inch I.D.  Replace the two
existing wires with the zip cord / toroid assembly, and add some 0.001
uF bypass caps from each of the two terminals on the AC line socket to
the chassis ground at the socket.

In some cases the PCB silk-screened markings will actually show where
the toroid and other filter components used to be located on the board!

Aren't cost improvements wonderful?

There's also a third approach.  Contact the manufacturer of the PC or
the power supply and advise him that the unit is not meeting FCC specs
for Type B (home) emissions.  Offer him the opportunity to send you a
cleaned up supply before you notify the FCC of his failings....This
sometimes works with the smaller importers of these Chinese supplies.

A couple of my PC supplies were originally so trashy I could hear them
with a receiver out near my tower!  (I threw that in to keep this
relevant to TowerTalk....)

Bud, W2RU