[TowerTalk] stacking monobanders

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Nov 29 00:01:28 EST 2006

> Anecdotal results from anywhere are irrelevant ... that was my point.  I
> don't trust software analyses implicitly, but I trust them more than
> opinions that aren't backed by direct comparison of some sort (like an A
> vs B test of two antennas at the same height at the same time).
>
> Yup ... well, close anyway.  I used a fixed 2 element 40m wire yagi at
> 70 feet for a while.  It worked great and I had a lot of fun with it.
> It would have worked even better at 90 feet, and it would have worked a
> whole lot worse at 45 feet like the original message from NY6DX discussed.
>
> Dave  AB7E

Interesting that you should mention A/B'ing.  I did a lot of A/B'ing of 40
meter
inverted vee's at 30, 60, and 90 ft.  I thought the 90 ft one would have a
substantial
advantage over the lower ones, but in actual operation they were very hard
to tell apart.  I listened to foreign broadcast stations and ham DX stations
as
much as I could and looked for S-meter changes.  On local stations (<100
miles),
there was a substantial difference which agreed with conventional wisdom of
the lower the better for locals.  YMMV.

Rick N6RK