[TowerTalk] Rebar Centering, Rebar Rusting, Foundation Failure, ETC.

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Thu Oct 12 20:08:08 EDT 2006

One thing that has always baffled me is:

If it is so important that rebar does not come within
3 inches of the concrete to earth interface, then why
is it OK for the anchor bolts to stick up out of the
concrete?

Possible answers:

1.  They penetrate a concrete to air interface.
In that case you can simply let a few of the rebar
cage vertical bars stick up out of the concrete
so you can grab on to them to keep the cage centered.

2.  They are galvanized.  However, UST ships non
galvanized anchor bolts, so I guess it isn't 2.

3.  Rebar rusts easier than bolts.  Probably not.

Anyone have the correct answer?

Rick N6RK