[TowerTalk] Am I asking for trouble? - tower loading

Jerrry BOYD exlasd at msn.com
Sun Oct 15 21:23:14 EDT 2006

Let me share a story from about 20 years ago.  I had a UST crank up, HDX 555, with a 20 ft moly steel mast and a tail twister.  Th7DXX and a 2 element shorty forty on top.  Well below the 30 sq ft @ 50MPH rating of the tower.  This was in a southern CA coastal city where we generally did not get huge winds.

I was at work, only 4 blocks from home, when a storm blew in with gale force winds (peak gusts of 65 mph). One of my sons (a ham) was at home and called me to say that the tower and yagis were swaying side to side and he thought it was going to bend.  Rushed home and attempted to crank down the tower....unable to do so due to lateral forces of the wind.  Storm finally blew through.  The tower was actually bent to the point that it would NOT retract.  A fairly expensive crane got it down and the tower was tweaked enough that it was unusable.  A local engineer (also a ham) "speculated" that if the tower had been equipped with a motorized pull down system I might have been able to retract it in the wind but gravity didn't work because the sections bound on each other.

I WOULD NOT push the envelope unless I had (and I know several who have done this) a motorized pull down system linked to a wind speed detector that would automatically cause the retraction to occur if I were not home to manually activate it.  Even that is not fool proof because if there is a power failure the MPD won't work.
Jerry
N7WR