[TowerTalk] re coax jumpers help

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 18 15:23:31 EDT 2006

At 10:15 AM 10/18/2006, Rob Atkinson, K5UJ wrote:
>hi Tommy,
>
>I checked the cablexperts price and they now want $23 for one 3 foot 213
>jumper with the uhf males on the ends!  ouch, what are the raw materials
>costing, around $7?--that's a nice profit.

Probably not as much profit as you think by the time you pay someone
to actually do the work. Say it takes 15 minutes to make a jumper and
test and package it (which is pretty quick). And, you're paying that
person a burdened rate of $24/hr (including benefits, insurance, your
rent, heat lights, etc.), so the labor cost is another $6.

Then, they have to pay for advertising and marketing expenses (figure
another 20% or so)
And, generalized management costs (another 20%)
And, presumably the owner wants to make a profit (10%)

So now, you're up to 13*1.5 = about $19, which is probably what they
wholesale the jumpers to places like HRO for.

Most small mfrs have an agreement that they won't undersell the
retail outlets (i.e. if HRO is selling them at $22.95 (their current
price), then Cablexperts won't sell from the factory for less).
Otherwise, the store has no incentive to carry the inventory, if
they're always getting undercut by the factory.

It all adds up.

>   I know dx engineering is also
>way over priced.   you asked about vendors--I would call Tower Electronics
>in Green Bay Wisc. at 1-800-662-3422 and ask them--they do not have jumpers
>in their online catalog, but they have them for sale at hamfests and I have
>bought their 8X jumpers before and they were well done.  I think they have
>213 jumpers also.  However, if it is possible for you to do it, I would get
>about 35 or 40 silver plated males, and the necessary length of belden 213
>with extra added for errors, and make them up.  If ur rusty, after messing
>up the first 3 or 4 you'll get the hang of it and it will become a process.
>fix up a couple a day and you'll have 15 in about a week.

Which presumes that your time is free and unlimited.  If it is, this
is a good thing. If it isn't, it may be perfectly reasonable to spend
some cash. For instance, I'm building a computer controlled phased
array in my spare time (by definition, a limited resource).  I could
design and build my own variable L and C networks, but I'd rather
work on more system level issues (like figuring out a bullet proof
algorithm to calibrate and determine the values), so I was willing to
pay LDG for their tuners.

I think everyone should assemble a few cables themselves, so they can
appreciate what having someone else to the work is worth.

jim, W6RMK