[TowerTalk] re coax jumpers help

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 19 10:54:02 EDT 2006

I don't want to get into a debate over a trivial subject so in one reply
I'll simply state that 15 cablexperts 3' 213 jumpers costs around $350.  As
a cost, that's a heck of a lot for some hams; for others who think nothing
of picking up a couple of ftdx 9000s, it's probably lunch money.  however
when you gather the tools, and make 15 jumpers, you wind up with more than
15 jumpers; you also get pretty good at making up coax feedlines and with a
spool of coax and some connectors on hand, you are all set whenever you need
a custom length of feed.  That's a nice resource to have.

Re the manufacturing costs:  the posts justifying what businesses charge
sound good, but businesses can charge whatever amount they want (high
medical insurance premiums in the U.S. are partly the problem) but that
doesn't change the fact that long term, homebrew is cheaper.  The cost of
your time?  This is a hobby--we're supposed to be doing this for fun not
money.  BTW, I was told by a Cablexperts employee at a hamfest last year
that they have a machine that puts their connectors on.  Since then I've
heard elsewhere that they have gone to crimp connectors also, however I have
not actually seen any from them.

73,

rob / k5uj