[TowerTalk] The Unguyed Tower

Lee Buller k0wa at swbell.net
Mon Oct 23 10:27:40 EDT 2006

Ladies and Gents....

  As some of your know, if you read my previous email of today, that I replaced my tribander with a C3E/D over the weekend.  The tower is Rohn 25G ... guyed at 45 and 55 feet.

  At issue is the guys and taking up and down antennas.  They just get in the way!  No, I did not drop a set of guys, I used a tram.  But, the guys seem a bother, but a necessity.  Now, as I am aging the tower works gets harder.

  What about unguyed towers?  I am not talking about the BX Series of towers, but why not have Rohn 45 or 55 unguyed to say 45 or 50 feet.  Looking at the specs, it seems to be plausible, but they want you to "bracket" the tower to a house at 15 and 30 feet.  Sorry, can't been down with with a "hip-roof" house.

  Now I am not talking about a TALL tower with monster beams, but I am talking about a 45 to 50 foot tower with a C3E/D type antenna or a A3 or something like that with maybe some UHF antennnas on the top.  Again, according to the specs, you can do that with over 25 square feet of windloading.

  I have read some threads in the archives about this....but it would be nice to know if anyone is doing this now?  I was thinking about spending the money and buy a self supporting crank up, but the cost is ...well....stupid for my bank account.  You would think that you could do this with 50 foot of 45G and about 10 yards of concrete.

  Comments?

  Lee - K0WA

In our day and age it seems that Common Sense is in short supply.  If you don't have any Common Sense - get some Common Sense and use it.  If you can't find any Common Sense, ask for help from somebody who has some Common Sense.  Is Common Sense devine?