[TowerTalk] running cables up the tower

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 09:48:24 EDT 2006

Has  anyone out there run 1-5/8"
hardline up a ham tower? How  did you do it and  how did you attach it to  the
tower?

No need to go out and buy special stuff.  The weight of that much 1  5/8 inch
cable is about 50 lbs (.8 lbs/ft).  All you need to do is to get  some rope
sufficient to hold that much weight, put a pulley at the top and  attach the
rope to the cable.  I use two hose clamps and tighten them  around the rope
running parallel to the cable with a spacing of about a  foot between them.  It is
impossible to tighten them enough to bend the  hardline unless you actually
try to.

I've used this method to install lots of hardline from 1/2 to 1  5/8...worked
without fail.

One other thing, install all cables on one leg, keeping the other two cable
free.  It makes for a safer climb.

Bill K4XS