[TowerTalk] Rohn tower bolts

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 09:59:20 EDT 2006

In a message dated 8/29/2006 11:33:35 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  My tower guy came down off my Rohn 25 tower after doing some  routine
maintenance a couple of weeks ago. He said that I was missing three  bolts
out of the tower legs. I asked if he figured that they just vibrated  out and
he said that it looked like they had disintegrated from rust. I  guess that
Rohn didn't put all "good bolts" in the tower  sections.

    Disintegrated from rust?!? This is preposterous.  It'd take decades for
that to happen, and there'd still be some residual  material that you'd find.

    Most likely they weren't installed in the first  place. I've never heard
of a properly installed leg joint nut or bolt "coming  out"; it's a tight fit
in the first place and they're held in place by the leg  compression so I
doubt that they "fell out".

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -