[TowerTalk] Climbing Gear resource needed

Al Toothaker N6TA at arrl.net
Sat Sep 2 20:11:11 EDT 2006

Well,  K3LR's comments have finally convinced me that I need to change my
evil ways with regard to tower climbing gear.  After a recent trip up and
down my 50' Rohn 45 with the yellow jacket following me all the way got me
thinking I needed a little less free climbing.  Then Tim pushed me over the
edge.

So, I set off to look at the websites that some others have suggested in the
last week or so.  What I found was a tremendous range of brands, types,
materials, configurations, qualities and options.  Harnesses, lanyards, fall
restraint lines, hooks, lobster claws, rebar assemblies, and on and on.  6
D-rings?  Huh?  I only needed two till now.  The bottom line is that I need
some advice that will help me to limit the choices to those that suit my
(new) habits.

Does anyone know a Northern California dealer that I can visit?  SF to SJ
preferred.  How about a link to a primer on selecting the gear?  I have not
found one yet.  Or, if anyone wants to let me pick their brain, drop me an
email and I would be happy to call.  Go on, do it.  You could save a life!

Tnx,

Al

N6TA