[TowerTalk] ham4 into 25g??

Bill Parry BPARRY at RGV.RR.COM
Sun Sep 3 11:37:54 EDT 2006

When my tower went up in 2001 I knew that I was going to have to replace the
T2X from time to time. After fooling with putting the rotator into the tower
and talking to some guys that have done this same thing, I decided to cut a
rung at the location of the rotator. I also installed 2 thrust bearings
instead of one, so that the bottom of the mast doesn't move around during
the work. I am sure that cutting the rung in the tower compromises the
strength of the tower but I haven't read or heard of this causing any
serious problems and I know that it is done fairly often.

I keep an extra rebuilt T2X in my attic for emergencies. I have had the T2X
replaced 2 times (not absolutely necessary) and the tower fellow does the
work alone and "in no time".

You might want to be sure and plan how you are going to replace your rotator
while the tower is on the ground rather than figure it out when it is up in
the air.

Bill, W5VX