[TowerTalk] Antenna eating tree

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Sep 3 20:42:20 EDT 2006

> Jim Jarvis wrote:
>> Unlike Charlie Brown's kite eating tree, the antenna
>> eating pinoak yielded to a 2 ton come-along.  The windom
>> remains are down.  Validates my 'soft-technology' approach,
>> using two small bowlines, tied in the rope and wire, in lieu of
>> end-insulators.
>>
>> It pulled through the crotch of the branch at 70', with something
>> less than 300 lbs persuasion.  Had there been an insulator, it'd be
>> there permanently.

> My tree guy frowns when he sees antenna ropes through tree crotches.  It

It really doesn't matter if it's through a junction, around a limb, or
around the trunk. As the tree grows it will encompass the line. It looks
like the line cut into the tree, but it didn't.  However the results are
pretty much the same as if it had.

> can damage the tree.  He would like to have it reseated every so often

I've gone to using 5/8" air hose as a buffer between the line and tree.
This gives a much wider contact area and at the tree grows it can push the
hose out. This does require that the line not be wrapped all the way around
the tree.

> so the tree can heal.  Much better, I think, to install a screw eye and
> use that for the antenna connection, allowing suitable strain reliefs.

A screw eye/Lag bolt is really the best way to go as far as the tree's
health.  The tree can easily survive a good size lag bolt deep into its
heart, but a thin cut into the layer between the bark and core that extends
much more than half way around can kill a tree.

This issue was addressed of all places, on the DIY channel just a few days
ago when they were building a large tree house.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)