[TowerTalk] Putting Line in Trees

Robert Carroll w2wg at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 22:01:53 EDT 2006

Having left my EZ Hang at the beach (put wires in palm trees) early summer,
I just built a replacement.  I used the cheapest WalMart slingshot, drilled
out the rivets, put small angle iron on the front of the handle (you lose
the finger relief of the handle but gripping the angle iron is not a
problem), and attached a Zebco 33 feel.  I loaded it with decent Berkley
line, as the factory loaded stuff is no good.  Anyway, this seems to work as
well as or better than the EZHang.  Over the years of using a slingshot, I
have found that either a 3/4 oz or 1 oz "teardrop" lead sinker with a
attachment ring is about the best weight if you are aiming for 80-100'
heights. You should be able to hit 80' with little effort.  I have tried the
heavier weights with little success.  At 90' and above you are in the
territory where you can't get the altitude with a heavier weight and the
weight may not want to pull the line back down if it is lighter.

I am intrigued with the lead ball idea as on occasion the local Walmart or
Kmart runs out of the sinkers.  JC, tell me more about the balls, where you
get them etc.  Do you bore a hole through them?

Bob W2WG