[TowerTalk] putting line in trees sans assistant

w2id at optonline.net w2id at optonline.net
Tue Sep 5 23:08:52 EDT 2006

Bruce's bucket trick is a neat idea.
I have a similar but different technique that also works great when working unassisted:

I purchased a nice el cheapo fishing reel (the enclosed type, mine is a zebco, forgot the model # (202?), I think it's even stainless steel, and it was $9.99 or maybe $14.99, can't remember).  Instead of mounting it to a fishing pole, I mounted it to the top of a 3 foot ground rod using some electrical tape.  Take it to the launch site, and stick it into the ground such that the top of the ground rod is pointed at the intended target.   Voila, no assistant required!

I am using the factory fishing line, and it seems to work fine.  I use a very heavy duty (black) swivel at the end of the fishing line.   I use a sturdy arrow with a threaded tip, optionally paint the arrow orange or orange/black stripes for visibility, and screw in the heaviest blunt tip I can find. Then wrap it with duct or electrical tape to further dull it, perhaps even adding a few small pieces of lead shot, but keep it aerodynamically as smooth as possible to help with aiming.   (I like Bruce's BNC idea - might have to try that. The more aerodynamically uniform, the better.)

On the drill press, I drill a hole the arrow just behind the feathers and tie a piece of poly twine about a foot long in a loop through the hole.  This makes it very easy to attach to the swivel.   I use a cheap recurve bow.  Tried a cheap compound bow, and even with partial pulls, the arrow was going up probably 150' high, which was no good.  And also, it was more apt to bend open the swivel during launch if there was any resistance at all in the line.   (Hey Bruce, want to buy a nice compound bow?)

After getting the arrow over and down, either tie on the antenna support string, or if that's too heavy to pull up with the monofilament, then first a length of poly twine long enough to reach up and back down. Then use that to hoist up the antenna support rope, or the pulley support rope if you are working on the end that has the pulley. (WHAT? You are not using a pulley and counterweight on one end of your tree-mounted dipole?!)

In 25 years of using this method, I have probably lost 3 arrows, and have even installed antennas in 10 degree (F) weather (not that I recommend that!), so I guess it works pretty well.  And one stuck arrow even came down on its own a few months later, fully intact.  Note: The swivel is an optional item. If your aim is great and you don't need a lot of retries, you may not need the swivel. It just makes it easy to unclip the arrow, reel in the line, and clip the arrow back on for a retry.

73 and happy hunting,

John
W2iD

p.s. Remember that shooting arrows into the sky can be dangerous!  Always assume that the arrow could glance off a tree and go in an undesired direction.
And always assume that the arrow could become detached during launch, thus flying the full possible distance up and then back down. An untethered arrow launched upwards flies FAR!
Murphy's Law of untethered arrows states that if this scenario occurs, it will most likely occur on the day that the neighbor leaves her brand new black Mercedes out in her driveway, and that a most undesirable breeze will appear at exactly the moment the arrow is release from the bowstring...