[TowerTalk] support rope

Orcena Lyle olyle at usfamily.net
Tue Sep 5 20:08:02 EDT 2006

I have four guy ropes to a top-heavy vertical that I made.  Three guys are black-covered white rope from Cable Experts (3/16") and the fourth guy is parachute cord.  The black ham rope has stretched hardly at all but the parachute cord stretched enough that I had to tighten it up twice at the beginning.  We had heavy wet snow in March and the snow was stuck ~3" high on top the ropes (no kidding).  The black rope sagged some but tightened up by itself once the snow melted.  The parachute cord sagged almost to the ground and had to be tightened up (shortened) once the snow melted and the cord dried.

The parachute cord is pretty tough though.  I had a break and a near break with a rope holding a wire through a tree, but it took several years to be rubbed through by tree branches.

73 de Orcy  WØQT