[TowerTalk] 90' sky needel

Mac McCullough w5mc at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 11 13:28:41 EDT 2006

Well after doing some detective efforts here ,  it looks like the best and
as well financially best plan would be to go ahead and schedule the crane
and un-stack the top two sections  [ # 4 and 6 ]  then stop and take a
accurate measurement of the 2 cables, call my local cable maker with those
measurements,  and send a friend down into San Antonio and by that time the
two cables will be ready,  the shop manager estimates 1 hour fab time for
the 2 cables,  while that is happening, I can continue to un-stack the # 8
section and start to re-string that cable, as it can already be on hand,  as
that distance is known at 175' plus or minus a bit , and it only has one end
preformed, the other end is random and not preformed , but rather it is
terminated with a wire rope clip, as determined after all other adjustments
have been made ... this plan leaves little if any real dead time for the
crane while it is here in place ... As a point of interest wire rope that is
required  5/16"  in galvanized for a 180' length is $83.00  while in
stainless it is $280.00   with little or insignificant tensile /breaking
points... in real prices this works out at .35 for galvanized, and $1.43 for
stainless steel,  I turn 60 this week,  I think galvanized will hold me for
my remaining operating time ...  if it doesn't , then it means I have
continued a good life and will have to deal with the situation all over
again ..  This group has been a big help..I remain unsure how I sheared the
main lift cable,  but that will be determined as I take it all apart,  I
think as I reflect back,  the early towers only went to the 86-87' height,
where later and present ones do 90'  but until I find my original notes made
by the original buyer Dan Webber in Maine, I wont be sure ...  but anyhow
thanks to all who helped with suggestion and thoughts.. I think I have a
plan to get things back on the road again ... incidentally, I think the
total time from cable shear to reach the fully retracted position was about
1.5 seconds ...  it didn't take long .. that's for damn sure ...  because I
had no time to get my lead ass moved away from the drive motor area ...
thanx  mac/mc  w5mc

Located 46 miles due North of the Alamo, and 121 miles due South of the
Western White House.   see my website at  www.collinsandharrisradios.com