[TowerTalk] Tower Remote Control

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Thu Sep 14 18:05:36 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/14/2006 1:34:05 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I have a Tri-Ex LM-470 motorized crank up tower. I would  like to be able
remotely control it from my ham shack. The only remote  control system that I
have been able to find is the original system that  was offered by Tri-Ex. My
concern with that system is that it uses (GASP)  vacuum tubes to provide the
delay required when changing directions. Does  anyone out there have a
schematic or other information on a more modern  design? I have the
facilities to fabricate anything needed, or I would be  willing to purchase
an existing system. Any  suggestions?

        Yeah, don't do it. The only  way to insure that a crank-up goes up or
down successfully is to be in the  direct vicinity - preferably standing next
to it - watching it as it's moving.  Otherwise a cable can snag and the
result can be breaking a haul cable and  watching the whole thing crash down.

        If you can see it from the  shack (what happens at night?), you'll
probably be okay but you still probably  aren't close enough to watch
everything.

        I've seen a couple of  crank-ups where this has happened and it was
just some cable getting hung up  producing a major problem.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH
Cell: 206-890-4188